Sunday, September 05, 2004

The Triplets of Belleville

God, what a great movie! I think that this animated film has already come and gone in movie theaters over there in the US, but if you have not seen it, go out and rent The Triplets of Belleville as soon as you can.

This movie reminded me that animation can be so wonderfully different than the made-for-children computer generated fare coming out these days (not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed lots of those—including Shrek 2 in Spanish, which was great). This movie is for adults, not because of any content inappropriate for children but just because it doesn't have cute little characters designed to be marketed at McDonald's. But it does have the most engaging and hilarious characters. It also has a spectacular visual style that is exaggerated and at times surreal.

On top of all that, the music is great. In fact, this movie, which doesn't really have any dialogue, is about sound as much as visuals. This movie earned the rarest of comments from Susana: "I want to see it again." (She never ever wants to see a movie twice, even the ones she likes a lot.) It's the little details in the film that are splendid, and I found myself watching with rapt attention trying not to miss anything.

Last but not least, for a cycling fanatic like me, the bike racing part of the story was great. Only a French/Belgian production like this could portray in such a hilarious manner the Tour de France and also have the historical details correct.

Some of my favorite characters and details from the film (and this won't really spoil anything if you haven't seen it):
• How the grandma looks everytime she pushes here glasses back up on her nose after they've falled down a bit. Of course also her whistle.
• The dog's dreams.
• The Triplets' fishing method.
• The French Mafia.
• The citizens of Belleville who are obviously a comedic take on Americans and their gluttony.
• The waiter in the restaurant where the Triplets play in Belleville.

1 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Blogger Rona Fernandez said...

This is a trip. I just saw 'Triplets' a couple weeks ago at a friend's house, and since then I've seen about 4 references to it on blogs, web sites, etc. I was actually really tired when I saw it (a hot Friday night after a long day at work) and ended up falling asleep about halfway through! I did like it a lot though, and want to see it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home